Saturday, November 04, 2006

There is a ton of unbelievable animation out there... and a bunch of it is on the web if you know where to look. (These were all mentioned at Cartoon Brew at one point of another.)

You can get The Mystery of the Third Planet for 99 cents on eBay. I bought it, and I will absolutely give you your money back if you aren't blown away by the fluid, intelligent, creative animation. From what I can tell from IMDB, it's the same guy who did Cheburashka, which is a must for any stop-action buff. Cheburashka is better, I daresay, than Gumby! Really! And the Mystery movie is light years better than what you think it will look like. Imagine 1970s crap animation, done by the Snow White-era Disney animators. I couldn't imagine that either. Just spend the 99 cents, you cheapskate. Like I said, I'll pay you back if you don't like it.












Next up, The Thief and The Cobbler which is free. So I shouldn't have to make a big pitch. It's free, so check it out. The animation is priceless, and the commitment that folks have made to restoration is really touching. Is it perfect? No. Is it better than any CGI crap they're tossing off at us these days? Without a doubt.

Go torrent this thing, even if you've never torrent-streamed anything before (I hadn't; nothing on my PC crashed when I did. Take the plunge!!)

Finally, there's the straight-up financial commitment to buy Le Roi et L'Oiseau. It costs real money. I bought it from amazon.fr and had it shipped from France. Am I cheap? Yes I am cheap. Shipping DVDs from France is a big deal to me, and I am ready to complain if this undertaking is a waste of my hard-earned money... let it be known that I am ecstatic about this flick. It is genius, and I haven't even scoped the extras disc yet. Le Roi = Dumbo + Chuck "Daffy Duck" Jones + Sylvain (Les Triplettes de Belleville) Chomet.

No, seriously. It's that good. Money-back guarantee, from France even.

This film rox. It's not in English tho, so get your eyes buffed to a high shine.

No comments: