Saturday, March 25, 2006

My favorite View-Masters of all, when I was 6, were my Batmans. Specifically, the now-classic The Purr-fect Crime... featuring Julie Newmar, whose catsuit-covered form, viewed zillions of times in 3-D, made me wholeheartedly hetero at a precocious age.

When I needed a break from Batman versus Julie, though, I turned to Lancelot Link, Secret Chimp. Part of the appeal here was that I never did see the show, and the View-Masters were so shrouded in mystery. For one thing, there were monkeys that wore clothes and seemed to disappear into their sofa (which I tried to do many times). Plus, there are only about 7 words on each frame of a View-Master to provide context. Plus, I was only six and couldn't read so good. Plus, who reads View-Master captions anyway?

If you want more of the mystery solved, try the documentary, then enjoy some chimp tunes.

(A tip o' the hat, and click o' the View-Master, to the hard-workin' Kip Brockman.)

No comments: